Thursday, July 22, 2010

David Hall's Alice in Wonderland



Today one of my friend's sent me a picture text of 2 copies of the original concept art illustrations made by David Hall for the animated version of Alice in Wonderland. I had only heard of David Hall by name but had never seen his artwork until now.
I did a little research on David Hall and did not find much on him aside from what is written on here. Pretty much the only thing i found out about these illustrations were that they were made in 1939 and Walt Disney decided to go by Mary Blair's illustrations.



The Adventures of Alice in Wonderland has since childhood been one my favorite stories of all time. The first time I ever heard of Alice in Wonderland of course was from Disney then later learned about the books. Who can forget Disney's animated version of Alice. Even though the animated version made by Disney doesn't follow all to well the original story it has its own flare to it. The use of color and designs based on Mary's Blair's color concepts makes it enjoyable to watch.

I wonder if Tim Burton used David Hall's storyboards and illustrations as reference for his version of Alice in Wonderland.



Well Tim Burton's version of Alice in Wonderland I really loved it had a lot of use of color and design and along with the dark concept as the books meant it to be.
Hmm apparently in 1986 there was a printed version of Hall's illustrations along with the story.



would have liked to own this book it has some really great storyboard drawings. I found some pictures taken from the book in someones Flickr page.

The unbirthday song in Disney's animated version of Alice in Wonderland

2 comments: